This bottle bears a paper label, likely similar to those originally affixed to many other bottles in this group. The contents are identified as extract Hamamelis, the genus of the plant Witch Hazel. Native Americans used parts of the Witch Hazel plant to treat skin ailments, and traditional medicine practitioners later picked up on its soothing properties. Witch Hazel is still in use today.
Although Dodds’ Drug Store at Fifth and Monroe was open from 1884-1921, the bottle was probably made during the later years of the store’s operation. The circular scar on the base, and side mold seams that extend to the top of the finish, identify this as the type of machine-made bottle that first went into widespread production around 1910. When mechanization took over the manufacture of glass bottles, the individually-embossed bottles disappeared from use.